26.7.10

Mt. Bukhansan

Yesterday, I climbed a mountain with Kyle and his parents. It was gorgeous. But now all of my muscles hurt terribly. It was hard work.


Some statues at the base of the mountain.


Me with Kyle's mom in front of a temple at the base of the mountain.


A bell.


Look! I'm in nature!


The one we climbed is on the left I think.


The view was really pretty.


Kyle was braver than I was about climbing out onto scary rocks.


The summit!


This is me on top of a mountain. I'm very sweaty.


Here is Kyle at the top with my sweet map scarf.


Koreans are all about the gear. They all hike in full backpacks even though it's only a 3-4 hour climb. But it's awesome because the backpacks seem to only ever contain beer or magkeolli and food--which they always offer to share with you!


The old man in orange climbed all the way to the top so he could play cell phone games in nature.


We were really far from the ground.


The white stuff behind us is a city.





The temples were really pretty. And by the time we got back down this far the peak we climbed was covered in clouds.



The best way to celebrate a successful climb is some makgeolli and seafood pancakes at the bottom.


The sky cleared up as we were walking back to the subway.


So, now I can say I did at least one thing since I got here.

Hope all is well! I'm on summer vacation for the week so you should skype me!

3 comments:

  1. Oh! Kyle's parents are so great. And that mountain looks pretty great, too. Great! (I'm sure you miss my eloquent commentary on daily life, yes?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mobile phones on mountains, those Koreans .. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's so cute how BFFN you and kyle are. i'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete