19.1.12

조개구이/Hello Kitty Cafe

Last week when I met with Jaeyeon, we spent a while trying to think of Korean foods that I should try but haven't yet. We came up with a short list, almost all of which centered on seafood. I've always been pretty scared of things in shells but have been gradually getting braver. So last night, we met in Hongdae and she took me out for 조개구이 or grilled clams. We ended up getting the two person mixed seafood platter. If you come in a group of three or more, you get free refills on anything you want, but I can't imagine being able to eat more than we got.

The meal started out with a pot of soondubu, spicy soft tofu soup. Mmmm.


Then came the giant platter of scary food in seashells. In Korean there is a name for each of them, and chances are good there is in English, too, but the only ones I could really pick out were the oysters and the shrimp or maybe they were prawns.



Look how brave I've gotten Mom!!!


We threw them all on the grill.


Jaeyeon was an expert chef.



The shrimp guys were delicious but really hard to eat.


After dinner, we headed to the Hello Kitty Cafe, which has been on my Korean Bucket Lsit for forever. It's so overwhelmingly cute on the outside.


And even more so on the inside. Scary.


The cakes were too adorable not to eat, even though we were both way too full from dinner. And all of the coffees/teas came with little Hello Kitties on top!

So cute.


My flannel didn't really fit in.



We didn't get much studying done. Oops.


Ughghhghg. So much cuteness.


Even the bathroom was cute!


Myspace photo shoot!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment