17.1.12

Incheon China Town

Now that my time in Korea is almost up, I've decided I should start trying to use my weekends more wisely than I have been lately. So, on Saturday, Becky and I rallied the troops and made the miserable Line 1 journey to Incheon to visit Korea's largest China Town. I've heard from most people that China Town is just a tourist trap, so I put my camera around my neck and embraced my inner tourist.


This "Welcome to Incheon" sign was not particularly welcoming, but we posed anyway.


We crossed the street and headed up into China Town. This dragon was guarding China Town's dumpsters.


There were predictably an almost unlimited number of things to pose with and take photographs.


Korean passerby have a strange tendency, when asked to take a picture for you, to capture all of the members of the group, but not the object you were obviously trying to take a picture in front of. Peculiar.


Pandas!


It was pretty cold, so we stopped at a (very adorable) coffee shop to enjoy some bubble tea and take way too many not quite artsy photographs of ourselves like our neighbors were doing. Everything must be documented.






Asia! Dragons!?!


Walking into the China Town sunset.


Eating lamb skewers. Mmmm.


Queen Becky on her faded cement throne.


Photo ops abounded.






Then we went to (one of several) China Restaurants for some food. I insisted on picking the most photographable one. And look, lanterns!


The restaurant actually did end up being pretty nice and not too expensive. And the food was excellent.



We always behave ourselves in public.



After we'd seen all of China Town we headed to the boardwalk area and found this absurdly neon carnival. I guess since everything here is already neon, there is a need to make carnivals even more gaudy than usual.





Then my friend Oscar called and offered me free tickets to the Seoul Electronic Music Festival. So Randall and I hopped in a cab from Incheon to The Middle of Nowhere for the concert. Which ended up being excellent fun, especially since all of the people in this crowd paid like a hundred dollars to go, and I didn't. Plus it was fun to see just how into Justice Korea is. 

This picture was taken on our way out. Koreans obviously have more endurance than I do.


All in all, an excellent weekend, and it made me pretty sad to be leaving. ㅠㅠ

No comments:

Post a Comment